Remember to post pics of your shortbread to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn and use #SHIFT20 and #SHIFT20BakeAlong in the post to be entered for a chance to win one of three signed copies of Gale Gand's cookbooks!
Lydia's Austrian Stuffed Shortbread
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup raspberry or other jam
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8 X 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter until soft and fluffy. Add the egg yolks and mix well.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the granulated sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the butter/egg yolk mixture and mix just until incorporated and the dough starts to come together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and form into two balls. Wrap each ball in plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours or overnight (or frozen as long as a month, if you like).
- Remove one ball of dough from the fridge and coarsely grate the dough into the bottom of the lined baking pan. Make sure the surface is covered evenly.
- With a spoon or spatula, spread the jam over the surface, to within ½-inch of the edge all the way around.
- Remove the remaining dough from the fridge and coarsely grate it over the entire surface.
- Bake until light golden brown, 30–40 minutes. As soon as the shortbread comes out of the oven, dust with confectioner’s sugar.
- Cool on a wire rack, lift the shortbread out, and cut into squares with a serrated knife.
Chef Gand has signed three copies of her cookbooks to give as prizes. To be entered into the drawing, take pics of your Austrian Stuffed Shortbread after the event and post them to any of IFT's social networks using #SHIFT20 and #SHIFT20BakeAlong. You can also post fun photos of your baking process. Are you the type of baker to get flour everywhere? Or do you have a favorite apron to wear while baking? Share it! You will have until the end of Wednesday, July 15 to submit your photos. Then we will pick three names at random to win one of Chef Gand's signed cookbooks.